Six to twelve months before the wedding
- Announce engagement
- Set a date for the wedding
- Arrange a meeting between parents
- Conduct discussion concerning the wedding budget
- Determine who will be in the wedding party
- Meet with wedding consultant
- Shop for and decide upon a gown
- Schedule fittings
- Interview and all vendors (photographer, florist, caterer, and baker)
- Sign all contracts regarding selected vendors
- Consider the purchase of wedding insurance
- Choose bridesmaid/bridesmaids’ attire
Here's an American Civil Liberties Union primer on applying for a marriage license, so you can avoid being misled or denied your rights. If you encounter problems in one county, you can go to another or contact the ACLU.
Where to apply
Marriage licenses are issued by the Office of the Register of Wills and Clerk of Orphans Court in each of Pennsylvania's 67 counties. You may buy a license in any county and have the ceremony there or in any other county.
Civil unions for same-sex couples are not available in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvanians may have civil unions in New Jersey (if you get the license and hold the ceremony there). Those unions are not recognized in Pennsylvania.
Below is what the Bible says about marriage. These passages are the reasons I will never place my hand on the Bible and why I custom design marriage ceremonies:
Wives are Subordinate to Husbands
- You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; he gave his life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. (Ephesians 5:22-24)
Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night
- But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)